fueling the soul with happiness, creativity, & productivity one mile at a time

Sunday, May 29, 2016

DIY Kitchen Buffet



This old school long dresser has been in the basement for quite some time lacking purpose. With the lack of storage in my little kitchen I knew just what I had to do....
I had to REPURPOSE IT!!!! 



































We decided to only keep one drawer since I don't have a lot of things that need drawers nor do I need any more junk drawers LOL.

The kitchen aid mixer had to be easily accessibly as well as my bowls and baking stuff.

Also, I seriously needed somewhere for my wine to go because I hate how it is just sitting on top of my fridge, it drives me nuts!






The drawers were removed and then we combined two of drawer spaces too make squares.

The remaining spaces we left open because they are perfectly sized for bowls,etc.

Hubby purchased a super sturdy board, cut the squares and shelves according to size.



I used wood fill to smooth out the dings and blend in the new shelving Kyle installed... then sanded some more!






I wanted to stain the top a dark color and then paint the rest of the piece to match my living room which is painted in Benjamin Moore's Silver Mink.











I sanded this piece ALOT! I used 50, 80, and 180 grit to remove the stain and make the top bare then smoothed it with some 220. I rough sanded the rest of the piece to make sure the paint would adhere well.











Finally it was time to stain and paint! I ended up only putting 1 coat of stain on the top and two thick coats of paint on the rest of the piece. Once it was cured then sealed it with some poly.

















While I was painting it I decided to stain the small squares on the drawer instead of painting the whole thing. Although it was super tedious I am SO glad I did!







We let it dry for a few days in the garage. Then Kyle drilled a new hole for the new knob! It was finally time to move it in the house!













We brought it in and I filled it up with all our kitchen stuff. Its amazing on how much this thing holds!! I LOVE IT!!! Such a beautiful addition to my little kitchen! 





No comments:

Post a Comment