fueling the soul with happiness, creativity, & productivity one mile at a time

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

DIY Closet Organizer

We recently re-did our daughters shared bedroom. Its a small 10x10 bedroom which needs to hold a crib and twin bed. If we added a dresser there would be no space for walking or for the girls to play/read. To make matters more difficult their closet is SUPER small but a "typical" size for a home built in the 1900's. I placed two clothe rods on one side of the closet to hold sweat shirts, dresses, and school uniforms. For the other side, I needed to find some type of organization system that would be functional and inexpensive.

Closet organization systems are super pricey! Way more then I am willing to spend!!!! 


I thought of an idea of using a bookcase and bins. I went to the Dollar Store to find functional bins. I was SUPER excited when I saw a new stock of fabric cube in bright colors. YES! There are so many awesome things at the dollar store (my next post). I purchased 10 cubes and two plastic bins.


 At Target, I found a tall  White Bookcase with five shelves. This bookcase was perfect in length, width, and height and it priced under $30.00. Using the target red card and cartwheel it was even cheaper. (Most fabric cubes are 10 inches deep so check the width before purchase). 

Went home put the bookcase together, placed the fabric cubes and then added some laminated visuals. 



















I placed socks and undergarments on the bottom so they were easily accessible to both girls. The four year old has the bottom few shelves and the visuals make it a sinch for her to get dress all by herself! 


This storage system is working awesome! My 4 year old is dressing herself more with this and the folded clothes stay neat and tidy! 

I ended up going back to Target and purchased a medium sized book case to hold a small cube for diapers with a wipe box, books, and the bottom hold two cubes of doll house furniture and barbie type dolls.

The twin bed was repainted white and the nightstand was painted orange. I made the valance and closet drape with fabric tape! The oldest is super happy with the colors (her favorite), the space and how functional and easy it is for her to get dressed! Now I just have to get their names on the walls :) 


Super easy redo. Closet system under $40.00 and best of all my girls LOVE IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment